Kale Salad with Almonds and Squash
Everywhere you turn, there are diet tricks and tips for becoming a better and more fit runner – or person for that matter. Quarry Eats is here to bring you really great, healthy recipes that will cut a few calories and pack in the right nutrients for proper training and of course, tackle the Quarry Crusher Run.
Kale, it’s amazing. We all know that. But did you know that the staff of the Quarry Crusher Run happen to know a produce specialist with US Foods who knows more about veggies than we anyone probably even needs to know? Yeah, we think we’re pretty special. What is super special is that this produce specialist has tried some of the best recipes that showcase the best of the best of these mighty foods and we get to share our favorites with you.
Our first delicious recipe for you is a kale salad that is sure to taste good and do great things for your running body. We like that it contains almonds because we all know how great they are for runners! ENJOY!
- 1/2 cup cubed butternut squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch kale (preferably lacinato or dinosaur kale), ribs removed and finely sliced, about 2 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup almonds, cut roughly in half
- 1/4 cup crumbled or finely chopped good, aged cheddar (if you can’t find aged cheddar, use parmesan)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Pecorino or other hard cheese, for shaving (optional)
- Heat oven to 425° F. Toss squash cubes in just enough olive oil to coat, and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet (lined with parchment for easier cleanup), leaving space between the cubes. Roast in the oven until tender and caramelized, about 40 minutes, tossing with a spatula every 10-15 minutes. Toast the almonds on a baking sheet in the same oven until they start to smell nutty, tossing once, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the kale with the almonds, cheddar and squash. Season to taste with lemon juice and olive oil (approximately 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide salad between two plates or shallow bowls. Garnish with shaved pecorino cheese, if desired, and serve.